Saturday, May 17, 2008

Opa!

On Friday, Sean, Cooper, and I attended our local greek festival. I LOVE things like this. I think it comes from my childhood and all of the fun family times at cheap hometown festivals. Where else can you enjoy an afternoon for $1 per person that benefits Brenner's Children's Hospital? I heard the advertisement on the news on Thursday night with a personal commentary by one of the broadcasters that it was definitely a great experience. That's enough for me - I decided that we were going to go!

Sean says this is nothing like the Asheville festival that spreads throughout all downtown. This one was at the local Greek Orthodox church (like 2 miles from our house) but I thought it was fairly impressive. It was already packed with people which surprised me for Friday lunchtime. I'm sure it was nearly impossible today.

It was our first experience at the Greek festival, although many say that they make it an annual event. We sampled Greek Entrees, ate some yummy Baklava, watched Greek dancers, and strolled the marketplace. In the marketplace I happened upon two treasures. I found a gorgeous nativity set made of Olive wood directly from the Holy Land (so the sign said). The sellers were from Waynesville (my hometown). Not being willing to fork over the hundreds of dollars that it cost though, I settled for the minature version in a Christmas Ornament that cost only $8. Still pretty, still made of olive wood, and boasts to be still from the Holy Land. I also bought another angel (I collect these) for only $7.50. Not bad for handmade crafts and a wonderful family afternoon.

1 comment:

merritt said...

Brett and I love the WS Greek Festival. The Houston one wasn't as much fun. I had tons of students involved in the dancing and programs at the one in Winston, so it was always fun to go watch! Wish we could have gone this year!