Wednesday, October 1, 2008

88!

Nanny visiting me in the hospital after Cooper was born

I generally don't post about birthdays on here - with fear that I will forget someone. Today's birthday however is beyond special. She is in a league all her own, so that is why I am choosing to put this on the blog.

Happy Birthday Nanny!

Today, my grandmother turns 88 years old. If you met her, you would never imagine that she is 88. She is active, "spry" is a word that I often think of in reference to her. She has a great memory, still gets in the floor regularly to play with the little kids (in fact has sleepovers and other special events for them), and minus her hearing is in awesome health.

She was married to my Papaw for 65 years until his death 3 years ago. I truly saw her strength when she lost Papaw. She has 3 daughters, 5 granddaughters and 1 grandson, 7 great-granddaughters and 2 great-grandsons. We all just adore her. She is one of those people who just dropped everything to play when we were little, who treats every one of us absolutely equally. She makes us all feel loved and a special part of our family.

If you have ever spent any amount of time with our family, you know that we are unbelievably close. I think nothing of getting a phone call or e-mail from my cousins, as it happens regularly. The entire family, spouses, and children (all 30 something of us) get together each and every year for Christmas. The reason we are so close? The love for God and for family that Nanny and Papaw instilled within us.

Happy 88th Birthday, Nanny....and wishes for many, many more!

2 comments:

saraiwithani said...

What a sweet sweet lady!! So privileged to know her and experience her sweet spirit and smile! You are blessed, my friend :)

k.mart said...

88?! And every bit as beautiful! What a blessing to have such a close family led by such a great example. Hope everyone is feeling well around your place. Have a great week, Gieses!