Saturday, December 20, 2008

Giving on a Budget

One thing that I love to do is to share with others what God has given to us. I get very excited by doing little things to help out someone who is in need and honestly have to rein in my giving because I would give to everyone and everything if I could.

No matter how you slice it though, going down to one income this year has made us tighten our budget even more. Other than our tithe and missionaries that we support, we have very little left in the "giving" section. I couldn't resist an extra "holiday gifting" for our local food pantry and found an easy way to do this without straining the budget. I thought I would share so that you might be encouraged about your own giving.

A few months ago when our local food pantry had only peanut butter and green beans on their shelves, I heard on the news of this way to help. They suggested picking up only one extra item each time you make a trip to the grocery store and begin your own collection box at home. When it is full, you take it to your local crisis control, food pantry, or Christian ministry.

I thought that was a GREAT idea, compeltely do-able, and an easy way to give to others without breaking the bank. So....over the last few months, I have picked up an extra item at the grocery store each time I went. I tried to make the item $1 or less. So I would grab a box of spaghetti, a can of soup, a box of jello... It was almost fun searching for just the right item to include in our box, imagining the family that would use it.

And yesterday, Cooper and I went to our local grocery store and placed our box in the bigger box that they have set out for the Holidays (I wish I had a picture but didn't think about sharing this on the blog until later). Our plan was to actually take it to the food pantry but the food collected from the grocery store goes to the same place and was a more convenient drop off location. See how easy that was!?

I would love to hear from you about other ways that you and your family have "given on a budget." Merry Christmas!

Deut. 15:7-8 "If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be."

3 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

I like this practical idea. Very do-able.

Jessica said...

What a great idea!

Kathy Eden said...

That is a great idea! I have to do that when I am collecting supplies to take with me to Haiti because I can't buy them all at once.
You could do the same with your loose change. Once you have a jar or "piggy bank" full you could give it to a charity of your choice.