Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Wonderfully Made

Cooper is napping and I just finished my quiet time this morning. I wanted to write this down while I was thinking about it. This blog is a collection of my thoughts during this time in my life, Cooper's first year of life, and some/most of the things that I record are things that I want to remember for him. An addition to his baby book, of sorts. A collection of things that I am thinking so that he will know how much he is loved and adored, special milestones along the way, and for him to know my heart - really know my heart. This is one of those such "heart" posts.

I had not planned on what to say when I looked into the face of our child for the first time. I had thought about it, of course, over the course of the 9ish months that I was carrying him but had not really come up with anything profound. We didn't know if it was a boy or girl so imagining the face, and the love I felt when I held him for the first time was a little foreign.

When I looked into his sweet little face for the first time, with tears brimming in my eyes, Sean by my side, the first - and only - words that came to mind were, "Cooper you are fearfully and wonderfully made." I said those words from the very pit of my soul in a half sob, half whisper into the face that I had memorized in an instant. I had not planned those words but those are the words that we have repeated countless times in the months since. Those words have become his verse. Those words were given to me by God to be spoken over him, to affirm him, and to show him that he is loved and adored not only by his parents but by his heavenly father as well.

I was reading my bible today and again read over that verse - Psalm 139:14. The rest of the verse states, "Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Cooper was made in God's image, pieced together the way that God wanted. God's works ARE wonderful. Not just sometimes, for some people. Your works are wonderful. Period. Whether we understand them or not.

Cooper, please remember that You ARE fearfully and wonderfully made and that God's works in you ARE wonderful - all the time - I know THAT full well.

2 comments:

Kathy Eden said...

What a beautiful post...so true!

k.mart said...

How absolutely poignant and true... Cooper will be strengthened and blessed by the heart you guys have for him!

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas with Cooper getting more and more interactive and fun!

Happy New Years, Gieses!