Friday, October 30, 2009

Spider Treats



A Betty Crocker, I am not. But when I made these spider cookies and they actually turned out cute and yummy, I decided to share. They are super easy and such a fun Halloween treat too!

I got my inspiration from here but made lots of modifications. You may use the Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookie mix but I opted to make my own...

I first made some peanut butter cookies using my mom's homemade recipe:
1/2 cup butter or shortening (softened)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
1 egg
1 1/4 cups self rising flour


Mix first 5 ingredients. Blend flour in slowly. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Shape dough into 1" balls and place 3" apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 min. until set but not hard. Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.


Then:
1 bag miniature reeces cups
1 squeeze tube chocolate icing
1 small bag of M&M's
Licorice pull and peel twizzlers (optional- I did not use)



After the cookies came out of the oven, I immediately placed a miniature reeces cup upside down in the center of each cookie. I let them cool for a while until the reeces cup hardened. After cooling, I attached m&m's as eyes to the front of each reeces cup with chocolate squeeze tube icing (and drew a little chocolate dot as an eyeball on the front of each m&m with the icing). The recipe actually calls for black twizzler pull and peels as legs but I accidently got regular twizzlers, so I just drew legs on with the same chocolate tube icing. After they finish cooling, Voila - Simple Spider Cookies! Giese taste tester approved! :)

2 comments:

Merri Lawson said...

Very impressive - adorable & no doubt delicious! Adam and I made pumpkin cookies a few weeks ago...I ate most of them... ;)

merritt said...

Those look great!